Detroit Walk for Sickle Cell

 

 

 

 

 

Cancelled

Detroit Walk Saturday, September 3, 2011 

8:30 am – noon in honor of National Sickle Cell Month Madison Holland foundation will host our first annual Detroit Walk for Sickle Cell at the beautiful Belle Isle Park in down town Detroit.

Register on line  by clicking here,

By mail: Send me a note here in the ‘Contact us’ tab and we will send you a Team Registration sheet. Tell us the name of the team, and the names and addresses or email addresses of each team member and send a cashiers check or money order (please no cash or personal checks) to P.O. Box 18144 River Rouge MI 48218.

Or register for the 4 mile walk the day of the event. Check in begins at 7:30 am and will end at 9:00am in front of the park casino. Bring cash only to the park by 9:00 am to register. 

What is sickle cell disease?

  • Sickle cell disease is a genetic condition that causes lifelong anemia (low blood count). This is caused by a change in the makeup of the hemoglobin. Normal red blood cells are shaped like a doughnut, which allows them to squeeze through small blood vessels. In sickle cell disease, red blood vessels are sickle-shaped, unbending and brittle which block small blood vessels.
  • Sickle cell disease affects millions of people worldwide, including an estimated 70,000 to 100,000 people in the United States. According to the Centers for Disease Control, one in every 12 African-Americans has the trait, and one out of every 500 births is affected.
  • Sickle cell disease is genetic. If both the mother and father carry the trait for sickle cell disease, there is a 25 percent chance with each pregnancy that the child will have sickle cell disease; a 50 percent chance they will have a trait; and a 25 percent chance that they will not have either.
  • The only cure for sickle cell disease is a bone marrow/stem cell transplant. It is only used, however, in a small number of cases because of the difficulty in finding a suitable match. Usually the best donor is a sibling. Still, bone marrow/stem cell transplants are very risky and can have serious side effects, including bleeding, severe pain, damage to the kidneys, liver, lungs and heart, infection and in some cases, death. Also, children who receive transplants may have delayed growth as a result.
Advertisements

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: